Gravel-Lok Permeable Binder
Get the Best Out of Your Gravel-Lok Resin-Bonded Surfaces
Gravel-Lok provides a bonding surface that's strong enough to withstand traffic, but as with any other glue or bonding material, it's important to know the ins and outs of the material to unearth its best uses.
What Is Gravel-Lok?
Gravel-Lok is a glue-like substance meant for bonding gravel to create a strong, durable surface. While it forms a strong adhesion to a variety of aggregates such as pebbles and stones, it's permeable to allow proper drainage and settling. This makes it suitable for commercial and residential settings. It also works well in outdoor areas with high foot traffic, such as parks and permanent outdoor attractions. We offer two types of Gravel-Lok, which are determined by your stone colors:
- The clear Gravel-Lok formula is UV-treated, which means it includes UV protection to prevent yellowing, making it suitable for blue and white stones.
- The amber Gravel-Lok formula isn't UV-treated and works well with natural stone surfaces that aren't affected by the yellowing caused by UV exposure.
What Applications Can You Use Gravel-Lok For?
Gravel-Lok provides a bonding solution where loose gravel isn't an option; for instance where it creates a safety hazard or where it won't stand up to weather conditions. Instances where we would use Gravel-Lok include:
- Drainage systems in gardens, such as French drains
- Porous surface projects like parking bays
- Industrial applications, such as walkways and staircases in office parks
- Garden applications, such as permeable pavers, plant bed surrounds for landscaping, and pathways
- Gravel binders to secure unstable gravel for driveways or decorative gravel
DIY Residential Uses for Gravel-Lok
Effective for use in low-traffic and high-traffic areas, homeowners appreciate the curb appeal this resin bonding agent adds to unexpected outdoor areas, including:
- Gravel driveways
- Gravel patios
- Garden paths
- Tree pits
DIY enthusiasts appreciate the ease of installing Gravel-Lok throughout their property. Available in clear and amber UV-treated formulas, its permeable structure allows proper drainage without discoloring stones and glass.
Easy to apply, you can create unique hardscapes around flowerbeds, ponds, walking paths and driveways. One product to consider is the solid color landscape glass rock. Available in a variety of vibrant colors, these creations add dimension to water fountains and rock gardens.
One of Gravel-Lok’s most appreciated qualities is its endurance. When properly applied, it can remain an attractive addition to your outdoor space for more than 5 years. It creates a strong, durable surface that’s aesthetically pleasing and low maintenance.
How Long Does Glue Binder Last?
Glue Binder is a good mid-term solution to neaten yard gravel. In light traffic areas, the application can last in excess of five years.
The Do's and Don'ts of Handling Gravel-Lok
Gravel-Lok has the potential to transform an outdoor area. However, it's important to know the limitations of the product.
- Plan ahead: Work out how many square feet you'll need to cover and mix your resin to cover the area.
- Use the right tools: Gravel grids, levelers, trowels, and watering cans are all important tools to have on installation day.
- Reapply Gravel-Lok: In order to maintain the resin stone installation, it's important to reapply Gravel-Lok every few years. This is because the top layer will become eroded over time and pebbles might start dislodging.
- Clean as you go: If you're including decorative features such as pavers in the installation, be sure to clean any resin or aggregate off the pavers before the resin starts setting. While it typically takes 24 hours to cure, the drying process can start almost immediately, which can affect the overall look of your installation.
- Install in wet or cold weather: Weather conditions affect the way the glue adheres to the aggregate, and the wetter the weather, the longer it takes to set. It's also important to check the temperatures, as temperatures below 50 degrees Fahrenheit will negatively affect the curing process.
- Calculate incorrectly: Using the right amount of Gravel-Lok during an installation is important. If you use too little, not all the gravel will adhere and there will be loose pebbles and stones in the installation. Too much of the bonding liquid can result in unsightly bubbling, which is referred to as frothing. The installation won't cure properly either.
- Use too little of the mixture: It's better to have some resin left over, as opposed to not having enough for your installation. Mixing a new batch to continue with the installation will lead to different curing times.
- Choose the wrong-sized stones: Round and smooth stones look great, but may not provide enough traction during adverse weather during winter months or rainy seasons. Small, angular rocks provide great grip, but if they're too angular might become a tripping hazard.
- Include dirt and debris: It's important to use clean rocks, free from dirt and sand. It's also important to check for twigs and leaves, as these could impact the quality of the adhesion to the aggregate.
Don't miss out on the opportunity to upgrade your outdoor space with Gravel-Lok from BlueStone Supply! Explore our selection and take the first step towards a more stylish and functional outdoor area. Order now and bring your vision to life!
The Clear Formula:
The Clear Gravel-Lok is a UV treated binder and is clear in color making it ideal for white and gray and other stone colors that could be negatively affected by the yellowing affects of UV degradation.
The Amber Formula:
The Amber Gravel-Lok is a NON UV treated binder and is amber in color and will allow a slight yellowing of the aggregate due to UV rays. From an application standpoint the clear and amber binders are very similar but you should be careful about trying to pinch pennies with the amber binder if the color of your aggregate is important.
Both the Clear and Amber versions of Gravel-Lok are available in 1 Gallon, 5 Gallon, and 55 Gallon containers. Due to the awkwardness of installation with the 55 gallon drums most customers opt for the 5 gallon containers, even on very large projects.
Tips For Stone Choice:
Stones must be clean and dry. Avoid dusty or dirty stones, limestone, crush and run, stone dust, and decomposed granite. Gravel-Lok can bond together small (1/8") up to large (2.5") stones. ADA Compliant when using stones 1/8" to 1/2". Not all stones are suitable for Gravel-Lok, it is recommended to create test samples prior to installation.